NOTE MAKING

 In my earlier blogs I have already discussed about the process of note making and its format. Now I am giving you one example of note making. Along with it summary of it is also given. One more example is given to do it by yourself. The picture format I am sharing again. Go through it once again. 

                                  

Example

1.      I remember my childhood as being generally happy and can recall experiencing some of the most carefree times of my life. But I can also remember, even more vividly, moments of being deeply frightened. As a child, I was truly -terrified of the dark and getting lost. These fears were very real and caused me some extremely uncomfortable moments.

2.      Maybe it was the strange way things looked and sounded in my familiar room at night that scared me so much. There was never total darkness, but a street light or passing car lights made clothes hung over a chair take on the shape of an unknown beast. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw curtains move when there was no breeze. A tiny creak in the floor would sound a hundred times louder than in the daylight and my imagination would take over, creating burglars and monsters. Darkness always made me feel helpless. My heart would pound and I would lie very still so that ‘the enemy’ wouldn’t discover me.

3.      Another childhood fear of mine was that I would get lost, especially on the way home from school. Every morning, I got on the school bus right near my home—that was no problem. After school, though, when all the buses were lined up along the curve, I was terrified that I would get on the wrong one and be taken to some unfamiliar neighbourhood. I would scan the bus for the faces of my friends, make sure that the bus driver was the same one that had been there in the morning, and even then ask the others over and over again to be sure I was in the right bus. On school or family trips to an amusement park or a museum, I wouldn’t let the leaders out of my sight. And of course, I was never very adventurous when it came to taking walks or hikes because I would go only where I was sure I would never get lost.

4.      Perhaps, one of the worst fears I had as a child was that of not being liked or accepted by others. First of all, I was quite shy. Secondly, I worried constantly about my looks, thinking people wouldn’t like me because I was too fat or wore braces. I tried to wear ‘the right clothes’ and had intense arguments with my mother over the importance of wearing flats instead of saddled shoes to school. Being popular was very important to me then and the fear of not being liked was a powerful one.

5.      One of the processes of evolving from a child to an adult is being able to recognize and overcome our fears. I have learnt that darkness does not have to take on a life of its own, that others can help me when I am lost and that friendliness and sincerity will
encourage people to like me. Understanding the things that scared us as children helps to cope with our lives as adults.

Questions:
1. On the basis of your reading of the above passage, make notes using headings and subheadings. Use recognizable abbreviations, wherever necessary. 4
2. Write a summary of the passage in not more than 80 words using the notes made and also suggest a suitable title. 4
Answers:

NOTES:
1. TITLE:
Memories of Childhood

1.      Remembering childhood moments happy and carefree terrified of the dark and getting lost

2.      Childhood fears Feeling helpless in dark
(a) Moving curtains
(b) Creaking sounds
(c) Creating burglars and monsters Fear of getting lost (on the way home from school)
(a) Scanning of school buses—friendly faces, same bus driver
(b) Not letting leaders out of sight
(c) Taken to some unfamiliar neighbourhood
(d) Surety of not being lost Fear of disliking
(a) Quite shy
(b) worried about looks
(c) wear the right clothes
(d) Imp. of popularity

3.      Overcoming childhood fears Undg. evolution process Recognizing and overcoming fears Accepting help from others Unds. things that scared 

               Key to Abbreviation

&                               : and

Imp.                          : importance

Undg.                       : undergoing

Unds.                       : understanding

 Summary 

My childhood moment was the happiest and carefree moment. Darkness scared me with its shadows, moving of curtains, and creaking sounds. It made me quite helpless and I used to lie still with a pounding heart. I had the fear of getting lost while on way from home to school. Before getting in school bus, I scanned it for friendly faces. I had the fear of being disliked by others. During the course of evolution from a child to an adult, I realised those things that scared me as a child. I was always expecting help from others.

 Example

Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:

Despite all the research every one of us catches cold and most of us catch it frequently. Our failure to control one of the commonest of all ailments sometimes seems ridiculous. Medical science regularly practices transplant surgery and has rid whole countries of such killing diseases as Typhus and the Plague. But the problem of common cold is unusually difficult and much has yet to be done to solve it. It is known that a cold is caused by one of a number of viral infections that affect the lining of the nose and other passages leading to the lungs but the confusing variety of viruses makes study and remedy very difficult. It was shown in 1960 that many typical colds in adults are caused by one or the other of a family of viruses known as rhinoviruses, yet there still remain many colds for which no virus has as yet been isolated.

There is also the difficulty that because they are so much smaller than the bacteria which cause many other infections, viruses cannot be seen with ordinary microscopes. Nor can they be cultivated easily in the bacteriologist’s laboratory, since they only grow within the living cells of animals or plants. An important recent step forward, however, is the development of the technique of tissue culture, in which bits of animal tissue are enabled to go on living and to multiply independently of the body. This has greatly aided virus research and has led to the discovery of a large number of viruses. Their existence had previously been not only unknown but even unsuspected.

The fact that we can catch a cold repeatedly creates another difficulty. Usually, a virus strikes only once and leaves the victim immune to further attacks. Still, we do not gain immunity from colds. Why? It may possibly be due to the fact that while other viruses get into the bloodstream where anti-bodies can oppose them, the viruses causing cold attack cells only on the surface. Or it may be that immunity from one of the many different viruses does not guarantee protection from all the others. It seems, therefore, that we are likely to have to suffer colds for some time yet.

(a)On the basis of your reading of the above passage, make notes on it in points only, using abbreviations, wherever necessary. Also, suggest a suitable title. 4

(b) Write a summary of the passage in not more than 80 words using the notes made. 4

Answer will be given in the next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CG BOARD 30 GRAMMAR QUESTIONS WITH ANSWER

2020 CG board paper solved

NOTICE WRITING